Requirements and Working Holiday Visas

Teacher Registration

Teaching in Victoria requires a Victorian Institute of Teaching registration and approved National police check. Visit the VIT web site for details on application requirements and process.

Mutual recognition provisions of VIT registration will also assist with registration to teach in other states and territories of Australia.

The application form can be downloaded from their website or you may wish to contact the VIT direct.

Level 9, 628 Bourke Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000

Mail Address:
PO Box 531 Collins Street West
Victoria 8007

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm

P: +61 3 8601 5800

Teachers' Hotline: +61 1300 888 067


Fax: +61 3 8601 5801

Australia - Other States

For further information about school terms, teaching and teacher registration in other states, please view the following website, and associated links:

Commonwealth Department of Education, Science and Training

Visa Eligibility (refer to

Teachers who may be eligible to teach under the 462 Work and Holiday Visa program provisions would include passport holders from the United States of America.

Teachers who may be eligible to teach under the 417 Working Holiday Visa program provisions would be passport holders from:

Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan or the United Kingdom

Working Holiday Visas - Subclass 462 and 417

In general, if you desire flexibility, and wish to work and travel in Australia for up to 12 months, then you may wish to apply for this visa. Please note that only citizens from the 14 arrangement countries, aged between 18 -30 are eligible to apply for this visa. This visa is granted subject to Work Condition 8108 - the holder must not be employed in Australia by one employer for more than 6 months, in the same position and location. A period of full-time work (up to 6 months) followed by a period of holiday (two weeks), followed by a period of full-time work (Up to 6 months) for another employer, in another position and location, followed by a holiday (two weeks) is considered acceptable. A further period of full-time or part-time employment may be possible, and candidates are advised to contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship for advice and guidance.

Further information can be obtained at:

Business Long Stay Visa - Subclass 457

In general, if you are over 30 and/or wish to work in Australia for a continuous period, between 3 months and 4 years, then you may wish to apply for this visa. The procedure and requirement for this visa is different to the 417 visa, an "employer sponsor" is required. A sponsor can be a school or a company, prepared to provide all the required undertakings. The school or company has to be an approved sponsor and formally nominate the employee - Form 1196 (Sponsorship), followed by Form 1066 (Application) will provide further information about the requirements and process. Booklet 11 and all forms can be downloaded free of charge from the DIMIA website.

Further information can be obtained at: